Friday, August 8, 2008

D.A.R.E. Update

Today K was accosted by the same D.A.R.E. identity-card selling people in Arlington center that I wrote about a few weeks ago. In her case, they told her that next year ID cards would be required for children and cost a mere $65, making their price ($40) much more reasonable. They also helpfully suggested that if she didn't have cash she could give them a credit card number! So, it looks like this is an out and out scam and I should take back anything I implied about D.A.R.E. itself.

Except that the scam is based on an actual D.A.R.E. fundraiser, which, on second look, I was able to find on their website here. The description of the actual fundraiser is quite perplexing. Here are some choice quotes...
As part of the Child Safety I.D. Program representatives will offer D.A.R.E. Medical Emergency ID all-FREE of charge. During these events products including D.A.R.E. t-shirts, ID cards, DNA kits, safety videos and other child-oriented products, will be displayed and available for purchase...
...
This campaign is a great way to introduce and remind children about safety information. If children are made familiar with these techniques through reminders and role-playing with parents, they are less likely to find themselves in dangerous situations. We hope that no child or family ever has to use the emergency/medical D.A.R.E. ID card.

The above really doesn't get any better if you read the full context -- it's incoherent, at least to me. What, for example, is the referent of "these techniques"? In what sense are DNA kits child-oriented products? I still have no idea why I would be motivated to get this card, whether for free or (in the case of our local scam-artists) for $40 (although if they got my credit card number, I'm guessing it would come to much more than that...)

No comments: